Thursday 27 March 2014

Ender's Game review

I'd seen the previews of this film and thought that it looked like the sort of thing that myself and my family would enjoy. So when it temped me from the shelf whilst I was doing my weekly grocery shop, I succumbed.

So what is the film about? This is the brief description from the back of the case:

'After an alien race attack, Earth prepares for a future war by recruiting the most intelligent children and training them to lead the inevitable battle. When Colonel Graff (Harrison Ford) recruits him to the International Fleet, Ender Wiggin (Asa Butterfield) quickly establishes himself as the best recruit of his generation with abilities even greater than those of the legendary war hero Mazer Rackham (Ben Kingsley). As his abilities are tested and honed, he soon becomes Earth’s only hope against total annihilation.'

The film is based on a book of the same name by Orson Scott Card. 

We sat and watched this as a family and all of us thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a 12 certificate, so isn't suitable for young children, as it does contain moderate violence. For some reason, parts of it reminded me of the film Sky High. My youngest daughter also commented that the main character, Ender, reminded her of a younger version of Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory. Yes, I could see where she was coming from there!

The overall storyline is good and holds your attention well, and visually, the special effects are excellent. There is a bit of a twist in the tail, but I won't spoil things by sharing it here.

I think that this is a film that we will watch again. Definitely one to be recommended.


No comments:

Post a Comment