A while ago, I went to make a routine appointment and the receptionist replied 'I'm afraid the computer is down at the moment, so I can't make you an appointment. You'll have to come back later'

In a moment of frustration, I asked her 'What's wrong with a pen and paper?'

It struck me how much we actually rely on technology. If a computer system fails, then it seems as though the whole company just grinds to a halt.

It seems that gone are the days where appointments were written in books, or people talked to each other and sent letters.

My children text each other when they are in the same house!!! What's wrong with walking upstairs to ask if the other wants a cup of tea!

So as wonderful as technology is, it does cause huge problems when it fails.

People seem to have forgotten how to do things without a computer, internet or smartphone.

I'm old enough to remember a time when there were no computers. How ever did we cope.

Now where is that paper and pen to jot down my thoughts?