Monday 13 March 2017

What do you see?

What do you see?
Am I loud?
Am I quiet,
Do I seem proud?

What do you think,
When you look at me.
That I look old?
Is it just my age that you see?

Am I clever?
Do I have a good brain?
Or am I invisible,
Walking home in the rain.

Is my life very blessed?
No worries or care.
Have I lots of money?
Or a house that is bare?

What you see here,
Is the outer shell of me,
Not what's hidden within,
That's what is key!

I am clever,
I am bold,
But what you see.......
Is just old!

Please give a care,
To the person within,
I am special, clever,
Sharp as a pin!

I may be an old lady,
But I've lived a good life,
Raised a family,
Been a good wife!

I've given and helped,
Those worse off than me,
I've learnt and I've given,
Please hear my plea.

When you see me about,
Don't ignore and not see.
I'm not a poor old lady,
I'm special, I'm ME!

6 comments:

  1. you are indeed special! so lovely to see your email this morn & remind me...its the inside, not the outside...that is really...& truly...what is most important! thank you for that. i hope you are feeling well, & beautiful...inside & out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I am glad that you enjoyed the poem.

      Delete
  2. What a beautifully written poem, and so true - it's what's inside that matters, your compassion, your experiences, not what others see on the outside and shallowly judge to make assumptions. You are indeed special!
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words. What is inside is indeed what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this poem as it really makes me think about why as a society we devalue people who are older to the extent that they start to feel invisible? My problem is that I look fairly young on the outside but feel about 90 inside due to my chronic illness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I quite agree that society doesn't always see the true person. If we all looked beyond the surface and didn't judge so quickly, the world would be a much kinder and nicer place.

      Delete